Friday, February 13, 2009
Maggie has been used by God...
Since Kerry's diagnosis, we have all been on the lookout for Godincidences (some may call them coincidences, but deep down we know why they happen). A few weeks ago, I picked up a few things at Target for a little girl at Maggie's school that is fighting the fight that no parent would ever choose for their child - brain cancer.. She is currently at St Jude and is doing really well, but I wanted to send her a little care package because I know how hard it would be on Maggie if she had to be away from her Daddy and Molly. As I shopped, I picked out things that I knew would make Maggie's day such as pajamas, socks & a crayola kit. Maggie was so excited to write Isabelle a letter and let her know that she is thinking about her and praying for her to get well. As we were putting the items in the envelope, Maggie really wanted to include a goody bag from Molly's party. I wouldn't let her, so she insisted on at least putting the little stuffed elephant in there. I tried my best to convince her that they didn't need an elephant (you know, because I am Mom and I know best).. Fast forward to yesterday and we received a thank you note with a St. Jude sticker on the back. Inside as I began to read, the mom wrote, "Did you know how important a symbol the elephant is to us here! Elephants live in herds and the whole herd loves, protects and raises the baby elephants. That's what it is like here: a "herd" of different families caring for each others' children. Thanks for the elephant!" WOW!! I instantly had tears streaming down my face. I had tried to interfere with God!! That elephant truly meant something to them and I tried to tell Maggie that there was no need to put that in the envelope. I am so thankful that my daughter is stubborn and she wouldn't listen to me. She asked me why I was crying and I gently explained to her that when she put that elephant in the bag, God was using her to send them a token of love. My prayers are constantly with that family and the many others that are impacted by childhood cancer. No child should ever have to go through that and I am not sure that I will ever fully understand why children have to suffer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment