Tuesday, June 17, 2008

First Swim Meet

I can safely say I felt like a fish out of water at Maggie's first swim meet.. We arrived at 5:00 in the pouring rain because I knew one thing for sure...they will swim even in the rain if the thunder stops. Luckily the rain moved on and the sun stayed behind the clouds and the weather was perfect.. All of the parents started moving around, setting up chairs, kids started floating around with writing all over their backs and arms. Melissa and I were both clueless (she was smart enough to bring a sharpie).. You have to check a board and find out which events your child is participating in and write the numbers on their hand. Then you have to write their name and their team name on their backs. Maggie participated in the 25 meter free style first and she did really well.. She was very nervous and was instantly down on herself when she got out of the pool. For practicing twice and trying something for the very first time in front of a crowd, she did great!! Her next event was the backstroke and she was in the first heat (which means she didn't get to watch anyone do it before it was her turn). She did really well again and came out of the pool happier.. We thought that we were finished, but luckily Daddy was enjoying the social aspect and we hung around for a while. It turned out that Maggie was also swimming in the 4X1 freestyle relay. She was apprehensive about doing freestyle again, but she did it well.. She was exhausted when we left the meet at 9:00!! Luckily Granny & Papaw watched Molly for us because she would have been bored..

Friday wrapped up our week at VBS. Maggie had a great time and loved every minute of it. Cacki came over for a short swim with the girls and Molly said in her prayers that night "thank you for my friend Cacki, she is my friend, she went swimming with me". Molly measures her friendships by who will get in the pool and survive her torture.. Elizabeth came over with Claire, Cole & Laine. The kids all played really well together and they ended up staying for pizza. It was about 8:30 when they left, so I quickly got Maggie in the bed because she had practice at 9:00 on Saturday morning.

Saturday, Mike took Maggie to practice while I did the dreaded deed of taking my van to get it ready for out multiple long road trips. It desperately needed an oil change and I have three lights that have been on forever, so I took it by the Honda repair place and let him check it out... $950 in repairs - yuck!! Luckily I am really close to having it paid off which will make it worth it in the long run. If gas prices do not get insane, I would love to make it to 200,000 miles on that van!! We'll see... Mike and I met back at the house for lunch and then he dropped me off for a haircut while he took the girls over to Sprout Studio to play. It was his first time to see the inside.. I walked over and joined them after my very long appointment and we went to the mall in search of Father's Day gifts. We fed the girls early so we could drop them off with Granny & Papaw so we could enjoy dinner and a movie. I will be gone on our anniversary, so Mike will get more dates out of it this way..

Sunday was Father's Day!! Happy Father's Day, Mike.. You are a wonderful daddy to Maggie and Molly (even if she doesn't always claim you :-)). That is a story that probably happened before I started this blog, so to save the laugh, I will retell it again. Mike came home from work one day and Molly got all excited and said "look Maggie, your Daddy's home".. We all got a good laugh and still do to this day... We met my family at Mimi's for lunch and then we all came to the house for some swimming and just plain hanging out!! Mike & Papaw were the only adults that got in the water.. We went to visit Cacki around 5:30 and Molly fell asleep on the way. She took about an hour nap and then joined in on the fun. We got to catch up on all of the happenings in the mountains.

Monday we were suppose to host the Pep Mom playdate, so we got up early, cleaned the house and ran to the store in preparation for the large crowd... At 2:30 I was starting to give up on everyone and I started cleaning out my car. It only takes me a few minutes to pack our clothes but it will take me all week to get everything cleaned out, DVD players and DS' charged, toys packed, etc.. Erica got here first with her kids and then Melissa showed up later.. It wasn't the crowd I expected, but they had a great time!! My dearest two friends went in together and got me a snow cone machine so we could pump the kids up with some sugar :-) and luckily we didn't get it out until the end because we got the unlucky one that only made three before it decided to die.. We would have been in big trouble had Melissa not had her stash of brownies in the car to hold the other two over.. Maggie went with Melissa to swim practice and then she went to their house to spend the night. She called me at 10:45 and Maggie was a little upset, but she must have gotten better because I didn't hear from them any more.. Melissa must have played the role of drill sergent this morning because I called at 9:00 and they are not at home which means she got them up and took them to swim practice at 8:30...She's a better mom then me!!

No comments: