I woke up at 7:30 to the dog whining and rain hitting the windows. I just knew soccer was cancelled. I went downstairs to call the hotline number to hear a recording that said all U6 games cancelled, all others will be determined on the field by the refs. What?!! We moved slow at first because I wasn't going to go if it was raining, but it started to let up, so we rushed around and got ready. I told Mike that I would take the girls by the soccer field and if it was cancelled, we would go on over to help with the garage sale at Melissa's. We got there and the game wasn't cancelled, so Mike headed our way.. We were playing the best team in the league. As much complaining as all the other teams did, it obviously didn't help much!! Poor little Maggie was goalie, and what a tough job that is against that team. They kicked the ball straight to the goal and scored in the first thirty seconds of the game. There was no way she could have stopped it. After scoring against her three times, the quarter was over. By half -time the girls were very discouraged. We were able to give them a little boost and they got back out there and gave it their best. Maggie was in the right place at the right time and was able to kick the ball as hard as she could straight into the goal. Now there are some kids that score all the time, but for Maggie (and for me) it was huge!! I jumped out of my chair, screaming in excitement and pride for her. I have to admit, my eyes were full of tears. There is something about seeing my first born child accomplish something so huge in her eyes. That look of pride that only a parent really recognizes that we know will quickly turn to embarrassment is priceless for me. Maggie was quickly surrounded by players and sweet little Claire picked her up!! A moment that will forever be captured in my memory!! Of course I didn't take my camera because of the weather!!
After the game, I took the girls to Melissa's to help out or better yet, hang out. It was a rather slow sale.. Maggie and Molly had a great time playing with the McCay kids.. We headed home around 2:00 so we could get cleaned up. Maggie and Molly spent the night with Granny so Mike and I could go out with Buddy to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall..
No comments:
Post a Comment