Sunday, September 16, 2007

Maggie's 6 Year Well Visit

On Friday morning, Molly and I got up and enjoyed our day in the rain. It finally rained and it rained all day. Of course it was the one day of the week I actually had two appointments scheduled and they couldn't be canceled. We went to he mall for about an hour so Molly could play some of her energy off at the playground before I went to get my eyebrows waxed at 11:15. Molly went with me and she was entertained by the torture treatment I received. Afterwards we picked Maggie up at school because she had her 6 year well visit scheduled for 2:30 and I wanted her to have a little time at home to relax before she went. She wasn't a happy camper about having to go to the doctor. Luckily Molly wanted to call Papaw around 2:00 and he was already home for the day, so he agreed to let her come hang out so she wouldn't have to go with us. Maggie refused to get out of the car when we arrived. I picked her up and carried her inside. She finally relaxed a little and did great for her blood pressure, height and weight check. She even agreed to pee in a cup (well actually a hat). That was a huge step from last year when I couldn't even get her to do that at home. However, when the lab tech came in carrying her supplies for the finger prick, the screaming began - and I mean screaming. Imagine her loudest scream and fighting as hard as she could to keep her hands fisted close. After enough force, we had a finger positioned, cleaned and snap it was done and so was the screaming that led into laughter when she realized it wasn't so bad. Then Dr. Meyer came in and she did great for her, but she informed me that she needed two shots, her second Hepatitis A and her chicken pox booster. Everything looked great. She was 75% for height (46 1/4 inches) and 50% weight (44 1/2 pounds). She said she was on track to be 5'6" and thin. I told her about Maggie's new snoring and loud breathing at night and she said they measure tonsils on a scale of 1-4 and Maggie is a 2. We won't be needing a tonsillectomy any time soon. She also said that her throat problems from two weeks prior didn't grow out, so it was just tonsillitis. Her cholesterol went from 220 last year to 202 this year, so we don't have to worry about that again this year. I was really worried it would go up and they would try to push medication. After Dr. Meyer left the room, in came the nurse and the screaming started immediately. She put two and two together and realized why she had to leave her pants off. She quickly realized we were going to need back up to get these shots in, so in came the insensitive lab tech. Maggie had to be held down to get the shots and she was screaming "I hate the doctor". It was bad. I wanted to cry for her, but I also wanted to laugh at how she was behaving because it was really offending the lab tech. Once she sat up she instantly started complaining about the chicken pox shot and she had good reason to. It has been 48 hours and there is still a huge red spot where she had the shot. We got an Icee on the way home and that made things a little better. I am not sure I will be able to hold her down in the future- she's strong.




Maggie and Molly ended up spending the night with Granny and Papaw so we could go see a horrible movie - Mr. Woodcock. I got up Saturday morning and went with Granny and the girls to look at costumes at Party City. Molly threw such a fit leaving that it left Granny in aw of her behavior. It wore me out. She cried/screamed for almost an hour straight. Nothing helped. We went to Jerry & Jenny's for a football party and Molly was clingy there almost the entire time. She didn't want anyone but Mommy and after the episode I had gone through with her I wasn't thrilled to be her number one choice. After the party, we came home and the girls went to bed and so did I.


Today we got up for church and Molly had another fit before we left. All I could do was sit and pray it didn't last long. We made it out the door and she had a great time in nursery. Maggie had her first week in the new children's program that replaced Sunday School and she loved it. After church, we picked up Granny and Papaw and went to Dollywood. We picked Cameron up on the way and the noise level was insane in the car. Molly had a blast. She was tall enough to ride the Veggie Tale roller coaster and she rode the elephants, shooting star (which was her favorite), the ferris wheel, antique cars, etc. When the park closed, she said "can we ride something else". This was her first time that she really got into the rides. Maggie had fun to. She still won't get adventurous and try anything outside of her comfort zone. She will probably never be a roller coaster kid. I will just have to wait for Molly to get tall enough.





Miley is doing great. The girls love her so much. Maggie and Molly keep her very entertained when they are home. Maggie has experimented with how she fits in all of her toys. The poor dog cannot even eat without someone in her face. She is sleeping through the night and is making it until 7:00. If we could make it until 8:00 on the weekends I would love it. Once she is awake, Maggie is close behind. She doesn't want to miss a second with her. Mike loves her, too and she loves him. They are great play buddies. Finally he has someone that chooses him over me!! She has been here for a week and I can already tell she has grown. Maggie asked me tonight how big she would get. I think she is afraid she will get too big to play with the way she does now.

No comments: