Saturday, August 25, 2007

Busy Weekend

Friday started with some major house cleaning or should I say straightening. I let things get too far behind to do both in one day. Then we enjoyed a swim date with Melissa and Kelly. Kelly brought baby Audrey and she is just adorable. It is taking me some time to get used to the idea of having playdates without Maggie. I know that it is really good for Molly and she deserves the special time - Maggie had it for 3 1/2 years by herself. Molly does miss Maggie a lot when she is at school and I think it is strange to her as well to have people come and play and Maggie is not here to enjoy it. Mom and Cacki both came to see Molly's new swimming ability. Of course they both enjoyed getting to see Audrey. What is it about newborns that are so irresistible? Cacki rode with us to pick up Maggie at school and of course Molly fell asleep. She usually wakes back up when Maggie gets in the car, but she didn't this time. She took almost an hour nap in her car seat and she was so grumpy when she woke up. She showed off a little for Caki in the pool, but not her best performance!! After dinner Molly rode with me to pick up my directories while Maggie hung out with Daddy at home.

Today we got up early in anticipation of buying Hannah Montana tickets. What once was a wish for floor seats turned into a hope of just getting tickets. Tickets were $56.00 (best seats). Erica and I clicked send literally seconds apart and she got section 113 and I got section 319 - WOW!! Thompson Boling sold out within minutes. I was very surprised to find out that none of our friends were able to get tickets. It makes me sad to think there are scoupers making a fortune at the expense of a child. Tickets are going on Ebay for over $200 each - that's really pathetic that we live in a world that parents will drop that much $$ to keep their children happy. I have found myself worrying over the past few days what society fills our kids minds with. Maggie has a Polly Pocket video and I don't really care for it because everything is so lavish and unrealistic. I don't want Maggie to think that is what life is all about. Then the new High School Musical movie came out and it really portrays the same thing - fancy clothes, cars and country clubs. Mike and I will never be rich and I worry that Maggie will one day face teasing at school because she can't "keep up" with the stuff the other kids have.

Back to our day...after the ticket fiasco, my parents came over with Meghan and Cameron to swim. Then we had to be at Garret's party at 1:00. We spent most of the time outside in the unbearable heat. When they got ready to sing Happy Birthday, Molly looked over at Maggie to get reassurance about singing and Mike and I both stopped, looked at each other and smiled. It's amazing how much she looks up to her big sister. After the party, we rushed home, dried our bathing suits and headed out for Emma Grace's party at 4:00. I thought I could sneak off and leave Molly with Mike, but she insisted on going to "Sarah Grace's" party. So she didn't even know who the party was for - she sure wasn't going to miss out on an opportunity to eat more cake. She gobbled down two pieces of pizza and told me "I was hungry". We left there at 6:00 and got home, played for a little while and then I tricked Maggie into going to bed. She got her feelings hurt and went to her room to pout, so Mom to the rescue. I crawled in bed with her and I read to her until she couldn't take it any more. She closed her eyes and was sound asleep by 6:50. She needs a long nights sleep. Molly was asleep by 7:45. Mike and I were able to watch the movie Breech together.

I am dreading tomorrow. I am not a fan of funerals - could have a lot to do with my inability to deal with death. I don't comprehend the pain and emptyness that Molly or Paige are feeling and I really don't even know what to say to any of them (of course I will be crying). I just pray that God gives them the strength that they need to make it through tomorrow and the many hard days to come over the next year or so.

No comments: