Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Longest Drive Home!!

Friday night was rough.. Molly was awake for three hours with severe stomach pains. She finally threw up at 3:30 and went back to sleep. I called the doctor at 8:00 AM to find out if I should bring her in since we were leaving town. The doctor told me to let her sleep in and evaluate her pain level when she woke up. She woke up happy as a lark and we decided it was okay to travel. We picked up Granny & Papaw at 11:30 and had to let Papaw stop to make a quick service call on the way out of town. We got to Campbellsville around 4:00 and got checked in at the motel. Then we headed off on our visiting with adventures. We stopped at Buffy's for a little while to give her a hug and let her know we were in town if she needed anything. Then we went to Nina's farm for dinner where the kids got to play with cats and see some cows up close (big deal to them!!) Molly ate pretty good for dinner (of course she knew she had to eat if she wanted a piece of carrot cake - make that two pieces). When we got back to the motel, Jessica came over to hang out and catch up.
Sunday, we got up and went to church where we got to see all of our old friends, at least all of the ones that are my parents age. Everyone I grew up with have changed churches. After church, we went over to Buffy's for lunch and Maggie and Molly got to ride their bikes. It is unbelievable how good Maggie has gotten at riding her bike. She can ride really fast and with great confidence. It's like walking, she only waled for a day and then she ran everywhere she went. I knew she would discover speed on her bike quickly and she is great at it!! Molly didn't feel all that well and she required being held almost the whole time. When we got back to the motel, we all curled up and bed and took a much needed nap. At 4:00, we had to open the blinds so Molly would wake up so we could get to the funeral home. We got to see a lot of people we hadn't seen in years while we were there and Molly was definitely over people oooing and awwing over her. She clung to me the whole time we were there. We got back to the motel around 7:00 and Jessica came over with her kids and the Bramel's ended up coming over to swim. It was great seeing Michelle and her three kids. Maggie was so excited to see Meredith. She tels everyone they are cousins. It took us until 11:45 to get Molly back to sleep that night. Right as Maggie was about to fall asleep and all was quiet, Molly announced "Ew, Papaw sharted in the bed!". Of course we all burst into laughter. How she figures out how to use words in the right context.

Monday morning we slept until 9:00. Then we rushed around to get ready and get the car loaded. Maggie got the privilege of staying at Jessica's during the funeral. She loved playing with their kittens. We picked her up after the funeral and headed home. That's when our real adventure began. When we got to Russell Springs, I said "we could take the kids to the fish hatchery". Dad jumped on the idea. He was really wanting to see Lake Cumberland. We drove the extra twenty miles to go reminisce at our old camp ground and let the kids see the fish. We had a great time and it brought back a lot of memories. I could totally see my grandparents riding their bikes that were attached to each other with a motor. I loved camping there more then anything and that is where I have more childhood memories then anywhere else. Of course I told my mom, back then, you felt safe letting your kid ride off on their bike and not come back for hours. I hiked through the woods back to the water alone and everything. Now, it wouldn't be a vacation for parents like that. There's no way I would let Maggie go off alone. Who knows who would be lurking on the other side of the campground. I wish Maggie and Molly could have just one chance to get to live their childhood like I did. I wish it was safe for them to go out and play and roam around. When we got back in the car to head home, the navigational system took us on 127 all the way to Crossville. The kids were over riding the crooked roads. We finally got home at 8:00. It was a fun weekend all and all. The girls were in bed by 9:30 and it was the first night since Thursday that Molly made it through the night without being sick.

No comments: