Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!

Where have the past six years gone so quickly? In one sense it seems like just yesterday that I held you in my arms for the very first time and in another it seems like you have always been a part of my life. I really can't remember much about what life was like before you. You are the sweetest six year old a Mommy could ever want. This morning you were so excited when you woke up. You wanted to know if you were six yet. Nope, was my answer. I wanted to keep you five as long as I possibly could. Not until 3:19 PM - then you will officially be six years old. After we got up this morning, I let you choose what you wanted to do today.. Of course it was raining, so your choices were limited. The Pack's came over and we went to McDonald's for lunch and then we drove to Powell to go to Bounce USA. I can't think of a more fun way to celebrate your special day. Afterwards, we met Daddy & Cacki at Wasabi's (your favorite) for dinner. As I sit here typing this, you are cuddled in bed with Daddy watching Charlie Brown and fighting sleep. I guess you are trying to enjoy every minute left of your sixth birthday.



This year has been an amazing year for you. Kindergarten was amazing and you had the best teacher. Before school started, you learned how to tie your shoes. I never dreamed you would learn so quickly, but it just clicked with you. I had the great pleasure of teaching you how to ride your bike this year. One day you decided you wanted to take your training wheels off of your cute little Barbie bike and give it a shot. I guess you thought you would get on and peddle right off. When you realized it was going to take a little practice and the possibility of falling, you said forget it. We put the bike away for several weeks and then out of the blue you decided to give it another shot. We took your bike to Granny's where we had more flat yard to practice and you finally got the hang of it. Then it took several more weeks before you decided it was time to learn to take off by yourself. Now you are officially a bike rider!! The most amazing thing I have watched you learn to do is read. It has been so fun to watch you sounding out words to being able to zip right through a little book now. You just finished the summer reading club at the library and you were so proud to go pick up your rewards. You are an amazing little swimmer this summer. You can dive and flip off of the diving board. With a smooth dive into the pool, you can swim all the way to the other end without coming up for air. You have also learned freestyle and the backstroke.

We celebrated your birthday with your friends and family last night. It hasn't rained hardly any all summer long, but our lucky streak of no rain for your birthday ended. It rained all morning and with a pool party planned, I was slightly stressed out. I was going to call all of the moms at 5:00 to change plans if it was still raining, but it wasn't, the sun was shining. As your friends started arriving, the rain clouds started moving in. By 7:15 it was raining again. We moved under the deck for cake and presents. I am frustrated with the weather because each year I try to get a group picture so we can remember who was at your party, but because of the weather I didn't get one. So I will just list them: Sydney & Brandon, Cameron & Meghan, Maddie & Ridge, Maggie & Ellie, Guiliana & Allie, Zoe & Madeline Seal, Joseph & Lauren, Hailee & Lainey, and Julia Pelot. Annabella's mom called today and said they were sorry they missed the party. She didn't open the invitation in time - ooops!
For your birthday you got your Nintendo DS from Mommy and Daddy along with some games from us and Granny. Cacki gave you a pendant that she wore as a little girl and an outfit. Granny and Papaw gave you a pair of diamond earrings and I was quiet jealous. I have never had a pair of diamond earrings. I was kind of sad though because you were too young to even realize what a precious gift that both grandparents gave you. One day you will realize how important both of them were.
Maggie, I love you so much and I am so proud to call you my daughter. If I had one wish tonight, it would be that I could slow down the hands of time. These six years have passed so quickly and my fear is that within six more years you will be a pre-teen that won't want me around as much. My promise to you on your birthday is to spend more quality time with you and cherish each and every moment I have with you. So often I find myself preoccupied with "stuff" and in reality you and Molly are all that really matters right now. I will have years to do "stuff" after you graduate. For now, I want to spend these fun years playing with you. I love you Baby Girl!! I hope this birthday was perfect for you.

No comments: