Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ice Skating at Market Square

As Christmas quickly approaches, I am starting to wonder when I am going to get everything wrapped and assembled. I feel so far behind!! We spent Friday just hanging out and enjoying a short day of school. Cacki came over to hang out with the girls for a few hours so we could go out and celebrate James' birthday at Calhouns and a 007 movie.. We had lousy service, but made the most of the evening. Cacki was curled up between the girls, sound asleep, when we got home. I hated that she had to get up and drive home. She would have so loved spending the whole night between them. Molly even woke up at one point and asked Cacki to snuggle her and I had to tell her that Cacki was gone and that she would have to settle for Mommy!!

I got this crazy idea to try to make some goodies for the neighbors... I am NO Martha Stewart and I hope I remember that next year. I wanted to make chocolate dipped pretzels and oreo truffles, but both turned out to be more trouble then they were worth. Mom picked up everything I needed at the store, but they were out of the chocolate and the sprinkles. I ran to Kroger and they didn't have the chocolate I needed either, so I got almond bark and I knew deep down that I couldn't use food coloring, but I tried it anyway.. Instantly my chocolate that was ready to dip was solid!! I moved on the the next project and it turned out that Mom had bought dark chocolate chips - yuck!! I ran to the store, got more chocolate chips and then dr
ove to Michaels to get the red chocolate discs that I wanted for the truffles. Apparently I overheated the chocolate and it only made about a dozen pretty truffles before the chocolate was too thick. The pretzels turned out okay.. All in all....it wasn't worth the hassle!! I will leave kitchen duties to those who know how. When Mom started to make fun of me, I reminded her that it was her fault that I do not know how to bake!!

The Holmes' were due to arrive at 5:00, so we made it to Cacki's around 4:30. The kids were so excited!! We enjoyed dinner with them and a little catching up before we had to head home to pick Miley up at Granny's. Maggie and Molly were both exhausted and didn't even put up a stink about leaving. 

Molly slept in until 9:15 this morning and Maggie woke up with dark circles around her eyes again. Not sure what is going on with her. The plan for the day was to go to Market Square to ice skate. The girls threw on layers of clothes and were so excited about skating. Maggie was shaky on her skates, but quickly got the hang of it. Molly took a little time to build her confidence, but each time she took a break, she came back a little stronger. She was skating on her own before we left!! It was amazing how quickly she figured it out. I guess that is why your first child has to have lessons for everything and the second one doesn't. She is not going to be outdone for long!! We got back to Cacki's around 4:00 and we were worn out. Maggie was feeling better tonight because she didn't want to leave with the cousins there. We finally convinced her that we would come home and go to bed early so we could go back there tomorrow bright and early. Jessica and Olivia do such a good job playing with Maggie and Molly and not getting annoyed by two little twirps!! I don't know what that is like because I was always the little twirp!!

No comments: