Thursday, May 22, 2008

Last Day of 1st Grade

It's official, as of 11:15 my sweet daughter will be a second grader. I should be excited, but that just really stinks. That means she is one year closer to dating, one year closer to driving and one year closer to graduating. That all scares the life right out of me!! This morning when I woke her up, I found the sweetest letter that she has ever written on her bed. I did not tell her to do it and I didn't help her write it. She wrote out the thoughts of her heart. She may be rotten to me at times and show me the ugly side of her attitude, but deep down where it matters the most, she knows right from wrong and she knows how to be the kind of person God wants her to be and that's all that matters to me!! It's in those moments that the guilt that can consume me as a mom is all gone and I realize that I haven't been a complete failure!!

Dear Mrs. Shedden,

I hope you had a good year. You did a great job this year. You do the best things. You have fair ways for us. You have tought us alot. I hope I get too see you next year. I hope you have good behaved kids next year. I hope your new buddies are kind, nice and respectful. I hope you have a good time teaching next year. You are the best teacher ever. I love you.
Your friend,
Maggie Wallace


I guess for a teacher, that is what makes it all worth it. She has made a huge impact in the life of Maggie and I am forever grateful for that.

Yesterday was their end of year party and she had moved their desks out of the way so that they could play games all day in their pajamas, have a picnic lunch in the floor with their parents and watch Underdog on the ActiveBoard. I wanted to keep her home today so we could get an early start to Dollywood, but what's fair about that. She has put in her 167 days of serious, hard work, she deserves a day of laughter and fun. She will be mine again soon enough. Molly got to spend the day with Cacki yesterday and she loved every minute of it. She waited until we were trying to go to sleep to give me the run down of her day.. Cacki picked Maggie up for the last time as a first grader on her way to the house. I was able to get a little work done during the quiet afternoon.. Funny story about the pajamas.. Granny brought hone four pairs of pajamas because it is impossible to guess what Maggie will like and whatshe won't. We were both wrong with our prediction of which pair she would wear. She chose to wear the pajamas that say Miss Bossy on them because she wanted to tell Ms. Shedden that it was really talking about her sister. Of course, when she told us, Molly screamed "I'M NOT BOSSY!!"..

No comments: