Sunday, January 20, 2008

Molly's First Ice Skating Adventure


Cameron asked us yesterday if we would take him ice skating yesterday, but Mike and I were exhausted and wanted to watch the UT game, so we told him that we would go today after church. We took them to the Ice Chalet which is where Mike and I both learned to skate and where Maggie put on her first pair of ice skates. I don't think either of us thought about it before we went, the time was just more convenient then the Icearium's public skate. We got there around 2:15 and it was packed. I was worried about how Maggie would do with such a crowd, but she was fine. Cameron did stayed off of the ice with his body once Mike discovered that he didn't lace his skates all the way up. Molly was so much fun to watch. When we first went out she was very unsure of it all. Surprisingly, she could walk on her skates almost as soon as we put them on which is something it took time for Maggie to get use to. I remember taking Maggie to her first lesson and she couldn't walk on the skates and I thought gee, how will she ever learn to skate. She was 3 1/2 when we started her in lessons. We thought about it earlier, but it took her that long to grow a big enough foot to fill their size 7 skate. Molly got behind the walked and it didn't take long before she got the hang of it. I am not sure that her skates weren't too small, but she didn't complain too much. She loved being out there and I don't think it would take long before she would be able to do it without the walker. I am tempted to sign her up for lessons becasue I don't want her to become dependent of the walker. That is the one advantage Maggie had. She never used a walker before she learned to skate on her own. Molly decided she was finished and had Mike take her skates off while the other kids were getting their drinks. Then when everyone was ready to go back out, she realized that wasn't the best idea. I took her and got her skates put back on and she spent about thirty more minutes on the ice and they were her best by far. She was disgruntled by that point and didn't want me to take her picture any more. I took it one time and she said "stop taking my picture and erase that one"!! We had a great time!! I look forward to taking them again. It is safe to say that there's no cheap family outing any more. It cost $33 for all of us to go skating, but it was wroth it to see the pride in all of their faces as they skated around the ice. I love memories like that.

When Molly would get tired, she would take a break and let me skate her around the ice!!

I learned a lesson about video taping with my camera. You can't turn it vertical because then you are stuck with a video like this one. It still shows how cute she was on skates!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how cute! that walker with the seat is the coolest thing! Do you think the nursing homes have playdates there? haha!